Arrangements for Public Health Specialty Training in the PHE SW Training Location
About Public Health England
Public Health England exists to protect and improve the nation’s health and wellbeing, and reduce health inequalities. We do this through world-class science, knowledge and intelligence, advocacy, partnerships and the delivery of specialist public health services. We are an executive agency of the Department of Health, and are a distinct delivery organisation with operational autonomy to advise and support government, local authorities and the NHS in a professionally independent manner.
PHE South West Training Location
- PHE South West (PHE SW) Centre is one of nine regional centres for Public Health England.
- PHE SW public covers the South West of England; it is the largest PHE Centre in terms of area at around 23,800 square kilometres and is bigger in area than both Wales and Northern Ireland.
- The two main sites for PHE SW public health training are at the PHE SW offices at Rivergate, Bristol, and Follaton House, Totnes).
- PHE SW training location was established in 2015 following the merger of the previous two separate PHE Centres covering Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Avon, Gloucester and Wiltshire areas
- The Field Services (FS) is a separate Training Location for Public Health and is co-located with PHE SW.
Public Health Training in 'PHE South West Training Location'
This paper describes the arrangements for Public Health England (PHE) in the South West training Location as a training provider for specialty registrars.
Changes in the overall Public Health organisational structures since April 2013 mean that almost half of the educational supervisors for public health training in the SW region are now based in PHE teams (PHE Centre, Knowledge & Intelligence Team, Screening & Immunisation., etc.).
PHE offers an opportunity for a wide range of Public Health experiences in particular working with healthcare data, healthcare service commissioning and service design & implementing screening and immunisation. PHE, on behalf of Department Health and Social Care, also has a role in supporting and developing a skilled workforce for public health.
The South West PHE Specialty Training offer includes:
- PHE South West Centre; Bristol and Totnes
- Health Protection; Bristol and Totnes
- Health and well-being; Bristol and Totnes
- Health Care Public Health, Bristol/Totnes and Specialised Commissioning across the South West
- Screening and immunisation, with NHSE in SW
- Local Knowledge Intelligence Service (LKIS) located in Rivergate, Bristol
Registrars may have an educational or activity supervisor from any of the teams in PHE SW and there is the possibility to rotate through projects/attachments with any or all of the other parts of PHE in the South West. Registrars will continue to be geographically based in either Bristol or Totnes but will have opportunities to move between the different teams/functions of the Centre and PHE across the SW.
Training with PHE in the SW offers a wide range of training opportunities across the PHE teams; an attachment to PHE will offer experience of working across all of PHE and covering all domains of Public Health. Registrars will have the opportunity to work on projects involving different parts of PHE, cross cutting projects within PHE and projects working with stakeholders; local authorities, NHSE, Strategic Clinical networks and academic partners.